COMPUTER HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE TROUBLESHOOTING
CHAPTER 1 - HARDWARE TROUBLE SHOOTING.
The following are the some of the remedial action that can be taken during the problems listed.
1) While switching on the system, error is shown as “KEY BOARD MISSING”
Check whether the cable from key board is connected to the system in the backside.
2) When switching on monitor light glows, but no symptom in the PC.
3) When switching on the computer, system starts. But no symptom in monitor.
Check whether the power cable is connected to the monitor.
Check whether there is power supply in that point.
4) When switching on the system, system starts. Monitor light glows. But no display.
Check the brightness, contrast settings of the monitor.
5) After switching on, the computer restarts automatically, frequently.
Check the power supply for consistency. There may be heavy fluctuation.
6) Mouse movement is very jerky.
There may be heavy dust accumulated under mouse ball. Turn the mouse upside down. Take off the cover & the ball . Clean the ball with soft cloth. Put the ball back & replace the cover.
Use a good mouse pad with smooth surface.
7) Key board keys are not working properly.
Paper bits/clips may be accumulated inside the key board preventing the keys to function properly. Turn the key board upside down. Shake out any paper, paper clips that can be inside.
8) In Printer, consistently faded or light characters are printing.
Replace the ribbon with new one.
9) A small, blank line is printed consistently.
Print head pin defective. Replace print head.
10) Print head gets struck on one side while printing.
Dust may have accumulated in the print head moving rod. Clean it with 3-in-1 oil.
11) Printer is switched on. Even after print command is given, no print out.
Check whether the ‘online’ button is switched on.
Check whether the printer data cable is connected to the system.
12) In laser printer, if printing is light and dark and in some places disappearing.
Ink may have become dry. Take out the Toner out of the printer, shake it gently and put it back in the printer.
If the problem still persists, refill / replace the toner.
13) UPS output stops immediately after power off.
Batteries are not charged properly.
Fill with distilled water, in case of maintenance batteries.
Identify the defective battery and replace, in case of Sealed Maintenance Free batteries.
CHAPTER 2 - SOFTWARE TROUBLE SHOOTING.
The following are the some of the remedial action that can be taken during the problems listed in the DEPARTMENTAL SOFTWARE..
POINT OF SALE:
1) When the Point of sale is started, it shows error “ERROR NO.52”
It denotes that software is unable to link to the server.
Check whether the server is on.
Check whether the system is connected to the network. For this, check the task bar. If this icon is present, then it shows that network link is not available.
Log off and again logon to the domain.
Check whether the network cable is connected to the system.
2) User name of counter PA not appearing after shift begin.
Ask the supervisor to check the work allocation. The time may be given wrong. Ask him to modify it.
3) In transaction screen “OK” appears instead of “PRINT”
Supervisor to log on.
Under Tools menu, click on “Receipt printing”
4) While doing transaction, against the weight column , the system shows “NotOK” and not responding.
Go to Tools menu, remove the click before “Weighing machine”
1) While clicking the “Post sorting” option, it shows error message “No beat is allotted to you”
Ask supervisor to give beat allocation to your user name under Tools Menu.
2) While clicking the MO Returns option to take returns of MOs by Postman, “Cash Is yet to be issued to postmen” message appears.
Ask supervisor to submit the MO amount to treasury under menu, Treasury-> Submit-> Cash to Postman.
If already submitted, then ask Treasurer to give cash through Treasurer software.
3) While invoicing VP articles for delivery, VPMO commission is calculated wrongly.
Ask supervisor to check the current configuration under menu “Configuration -> MO commission configuration.
1) While fetching the articles from counter/Spl journal/BOs, it shows error message with words “Unconfigured article type”
Ask supervisor to configure bag types correctly under menu “Master -> Bag type”
2) While viewing the delivery abstract both side, there is a huge difference of articles between receipt side and dispatch side, after autosorting.
Pin range allotment is not complete. Ask supervisor to go to menu “Master -> Allot Pinrange” and rectify.
1) While viewing SO Daily account / HO summary, out of account transactions are shown.
It means the supervisor of the concerned branch has not verified the accounts in respective software. Ask him to verify.
1) While printing BO slip, it shows message “printed in file ….” without printing through printer.
Check the printer icon in the menu bar for any red circle. It means the printer is disabled. Click the icon. The red circle on the icon will disappear.
1) While trying to login as PA, it shows error message as “You have not assigned any role”
Ask supervisor to assign the counter to your name under the menu “Master->counter assignment”
The above items are not exhaustive.
If the problem persists even after trying the above suggestions, contact the Sys Admin or designated technology person of your office / division.